Apr 21, 2013

REST is an important part of training...

I learned something this week the real way... through experience... it wasn't/isn't fun but I think its good it happened now and only for a short time with no real damage done....

I actually over did it: I pushed myself over the edge and onto exhaustion. Sort of by accident and sort of not....

I bike commute everywhere. I do actually enjoy it (95% of the time) and I really just don't enjoy driving and so it works for me on many levels...
I forget that I bike commute and still train over top of that. I am paddling, mtn biking, running, crossfitting, and when I can I squeeze in a little yoga... on top of my 2 hour M-F bike commute.
My job involves movement and the outdoors so at times at work I am moving more than I realize and because it is work don't count it in my head as physical activity.
So, this past week, a combination of just having too much of doing all the things I love to do, training, commuting, working, with the added mix of the cold rain did me in. I had to succumb to the exhaustion.

Thursday evening I was biking home from my second job (that I really love doing as well), cold, with numb feet, so wet that I was soaked through to the bones, emotionally and physically drained I found myself biking and crying for no particular reason....
Did I listen to my body and mind? Not right away,.. Friday morning I biked to work again and it took me 15 minutes longer to get to work.  I knew I was tired and was kind of content that the weather was looking dim which wouldn't motivate me to get outside after work... but lol and behold, as I was climbing with the school climbing club, the sun came out and I managed to get myself out for a trail run with Andrew... and once again that evening I broke down... NOT good... I got some good sleep Friday night, was feeling better saturday morning, after some chores, we met a friend for a mtn bike ride in the semi sunshine,... I was pumped but afterwards as we were having coffee the exhaustion was creeping back... then while helping friends move and just chilling, I knew something was wrong... I went to bed at 7:30pm, my body just hungry to relax... so this morning for the first time EVER I DROVE myself to deep cove for work.... I wasn't happy about it but rest is what I need at the moment...

I am feeling sooo strong right now which is super exciting and I wish I knew what it was that I was doing that was giving me this strength and speed and because I don't know I am scared to stop doing the wrong thing... I am not 22 anymore, I work, I have friends and a husband and I have training.... I want to do all of these things well and so I need to watch myself because being sick or injured won't allow me to do these things that I love to do....

Lesson learned: and there I have it, a rest week for myself! Let's see if I can stay sane:)


Exciting news: I am officially entered into Molokai! YAY I got the email confirming my entry. It is soooo ON (after my rest week:))

THANK YOU WERNER and NIKKI REKMAN for helping me keep this dream alive! And Mike D:)
Mike D and I sporting our new Werner Hoodies at Deep Cove Canoe and kayak Centre


live, love, laugh,..DREAM!
lina

No comments: