Jan 2, 2013

A break from the ocean: playing in the backcountry...

Pillow droppin' at Joffre Shoulder photo: Paul Palfreyman

Since my return from Mexico I have spent most of my time playing in the snow... mostly by choice but sometimes not:)

I figured it is good to take breaks from things to refresh the mind, body, and soul.   I have decided that January is my break from specific SUP training. This does not mean I will sit on the couch and stuff my face with chocolates BUT it does mean I am going to ensure I do things just because they are super fun to do and I really want to do them. Although I really love SUPin, I do feel that sometimes, because I race, I need to train and when the NEED outweighs the DESIRE by too much, I know its time for something a little different to ensure I always WANT to push hard and paddle.

 I am going to enjoy all the awesomeness that winter in the pacific northwest has to offer. I am hopefully going to ski tour/snowshoe/nordic ski to my hearts content. It is a good mental, physical, and social break that I know I need. Not to mention I think ski touring is one of the best workouts in the world... not only is it tough physically and mentally, but it is INSANELY BEAUTIFUL! I find such a wonderful sense of freedom while ski touring in the mountains... Its tough to put on paper but its a combination of solitude from crowds, crisp air, the quietness of the winter, the self propelled satisfaction, and of course the sweet powder turns....

Couloir on Joffre Shoulder

Whistler Yurt

This past week has been wonderful. Minus getting a sinus infection for Christmas, the christmas cheer was in full force: filled with lots of friends, delicious grub, and winter goodness. We spent 3 days skiing off the Duffey Lake Road (Cayoosh area, Joffre Shoulder, and Rhor ridge), we stayed in the cutest Yurts at Riverside Campground, and ate great yummy leftovers. We then headed south to Mt Baker where we enjoyed two more glorious ski touring days. The sun was out in full force, and unfortunately so were the crowds... but we managed to head a little farther and escaped the crowds and found some fresh pow just for us. We also explored two new areas that we had never ski toured before... always love the adventurous exploration routes. It was another fabulous adventure that could not have been as good without all the amazing people that were there and of course the scrumptious food. I am super thankful for such amazing friends, a loving husband, and a beautiful city with amazing outdoor opportunities.
Andrew, Lina, SJ, Mt SHuksan in background photo: Tom Furst


I can't believe it is already 2013! It is gonna be an unbelievable year.... I have a ton planned from jobs, to expeditions, to racing and much more! I can't wait!

live, love, laugh,...DREAM!
lina